To present your business digitally in the best possible way, there are lots of things you need to pay attention to. This is quite complicated, so in this blog, Ictoria lays out the issues. In doing so, two things are important:
- Defining your corporate identity, which is very important offline as well.
- Digitising and digitally operating your business.
Defining your corporate identity goes in 5 steps:
- Identity and image: These show who you are, what you do and what makes you special, so that your target audience will be interested in doing business with your company. Your name should be unique, findable and not confusing.
- Logo and typography: With your unique logo and font, you make yourself recognisable and familiar to customers. Also note that the font should be able to be displayed on as many devices as possible so that your website is readable; preferably choose a WOFF or WOFF2 font. See also Why should I have my logo redesigned?
- Choosing colours: carefully consider which colours fit your business, and which do not.
- Choosing imagery: the photos, infographics, icons for your website should match your identity and colours, and not violate anyone’s copyright.
- Means of communication: your website, business cards, writing paper, newsletters and social media posts should all have a consistent style and message.
Corporate identity handbook: record all the corporate identity choices you made in the above 5 steps on paper for clarity and consistency. When in doubt, you can always consult it.
Copyright: Make sure you do not violate anyone’s copyright with photos, texts etc. Also consider whether you’d like to legally protect your own logo, brand name etc.
Digitising and operating digitally
Website building, security and accessibility: The most important thing for a digital business is to build a (new) website and/or webshop (or have professionals build it for you), have it properly secured and accessible for all devices (PC, mobile, tablet, etc.). See also Website management and web design.
Management: Once you’ve got a company website, it is important that it is properly managed (hosted) and maintained (updated). Then customers are provided with up-to-date information and you remain protected against security threats. See also WordPress management service by Ictoria.
Marketing and communication by your company is, among other things, relevant for the online visibility/findability of your company and the products and/or services you offer. It allows current or potential customers to find you and contact you for purchases, advice or feedback. You can do this yourself or outsource it to a specialised company. See also Marketing & Communication service by Ictoria and Online marketing: do it yourself or outsource?
Social media can be an important part of your digital marketing and communication. They allow you to reach potential customers who are not necessarily looking for you, but who are interested in what you have to offer. As a company, it is important to consider which target group(s) you would like to reach, on which channels you are likely to find them (and which not) and how you want to approach them. Again, you can do this yourself or outsource it. See also Using video marketing, Tips for vlogging and Social Media Trends 2022.
Tip: hire a one-stop shop to handle several or all digital matters for you instead of different companies for each part. This will help you keep an overview, make things easier for yourself and cut costs.
Like to know more?
Need advice on how best to present your business digitally? We are at your service!